Thursday 2 January 2014

For Your Ears: I'M HAVING A SERIOUS (fangirl) MOMENT, GUYS


First off, HAPPY NEW YEARS TO ALL! It is now the second (third??) day of 2014, and all has been well so far. I really feel like this year will be a great one for me. Anyone else feel this way?

New Years turned out to be a fantastic time for me! I ended up going to a good sized gathering, that hosted a great opportunity for me to dance my way into the new year with the silliest of silly people around. Drinks were casual, people were great, music was perfect. A+ time! What I'm really enjoying about this particular christmas break is the way I'm becoming closer and closer with my peers. I find last year that I had pushed a lot of people away for no reason at all, so it's nice to feel like I belong somewhere as great as where I am at this time. If any of you are reading this, I LOVE YA!! :)

But, I digress.

Last night, I had come to the realization, this after two weeks of non-stop obsessing, that I am in the midst of having a massive Bombay Bicycle Club moment. I've seriously been horizontal for a good 2 days straight (I say 2 days because I did leave the house on New Years, but being completely honest, I'm unsure of the number of days before that..) just plowing down the halls of Youtube, listening to everything that has anything to do with them. And get this- I HAVEN'T COME ACROSS ANYTHING THAT SOUNDS BAD.

I've been a fan of this band for a while now. A few of their songs here and there to pick up my mood was about the extent my knowledge had reached of their pure excellence.. Until, that is, I had a few spare hours on my hands, and I began to discover the hidden gems. Well to me they were hidden, I suppose I can't speak for anyone else.

The most recent phase (I guess you could call it) all started with their performance at the Reading Festival 2012. I discovered that video a few days prior to Christmas, which was a gift in itself, given I hadn't really listened to any of their songs other than Your Eyes, Shuffle, Sixteen and Lights Out, Words Gone. This video had opened my eyes to some other great ones like Ivy & Gold and How Can You Swallow So Much Sleep.

I don't know if it's just me, but when I see bands perform live, and they surprise me by sounding so killer, a newly born feeling of respect shows itself. That feeling is one that I really have come to enjoy. There's just something about the fact that there are still bands out there (contrary to popular belief) that work incredibly hard both inside the studio and out, that makes me feel giddy. Giddy in the best possible way, of course.

So, yes. After finding that festival video, I went on to uncover their performance for Off The Avenue. First with Lights Out, Words Gone, then Beg. I'm still listening to them both as I type. Along with those, I found (a while back) their session with Watch Listen Tell of Dust On The Ground and Flaws directed by David Tree of WLT. All turning out to be utterly fantastic!

Some other songs that stuck out to me so far have been: Leave ItCarry Me, You Already Know, Always Like This, and Still.

If you click any of the bolded words found in this post, you will be taken to a magical place where Jack Steadman's voice will soothe your soul. Maybe you too will have your own Bombay Bicycle Club moment!

But that's all for this segment of 'Jaime can't handle holding in her love anymore, so here comes the explosion". Hahaha!
Have a good one, friends!
Keep it cool,
Jaime

No comments: